This is my naturally aspirated Mazda Rx7, i bought the car totally standard with 60k on the clock and full service history. The engine has been very well looked after, the bodywork needs tidying up a little bit though. I'm not totally sure what path i'm going with the car yet but the plans are to get it looking good before i do anything else with it.
- Heavyset prototype steering wheel
- Newest first
- Oldest first
3 updates 2 followers 1 mod2013-09-29 14:02:39So this is my new project, its a maturally aspirated Mazda RX7 FC which i traded my rear wheel drive Honda shuttle for.
Anybody that knows me knows i've always had Hondas but i fancied a bit of a change and i wanted to learn something new.
In the years of me being a mechanic the one engine i never ever got a chance to work on was the rotary so i thought there's no better way to learn how they work than to own one and so far i've learnt a lot. The first time i looked under the bonnet i honestly didn't have a clue what most of it was especially all the emissions related stuff like the air pump etc so first thing i did was sign up to the rx7 forum and after hours of reading i was starting to get the jist of things.
Anyway heres what it looked like the day i got it
So when i got the car there were a few minor problems.
The passenger window doesn't work at all
The drivers one is intermittent
The sunroof doesn't open
The cars idling was terrible and the revs kept going up and down even when driving
The belts seemed to be the wrong size so they squealed when you started to accelerate
2 of the tyres had a slow puncture
and the bodywork wasn't the best
So first job was to try and sort out the problems, so i started by going down to my local auto factors and getting some new belts
Then got them fitted and they fit perfectly, there's so much more room for adjustment now.
Then next job was to respray the wiper arms and a couple of brackets from the engine bay as they were looking a bit scabby.
Decided to leave the rear wiper off as it looked better without it, i just need to find a bung to block the hole off now.
Then we got in a prototype Heavyset steering wheel in to try so i decided to get that fitted to see what it looked like. Its not the final design but it was just a test to see what the stitching looked like.
The oil needed topping up a bit so i decided to just give it an oil change while i had the tools out.
Next job is to get an air filter to replace the scabby looking apexi one, new battery, wheels and tyres and some coilovers then hopefully get it to the bodyshop to get the dents and scratches sorted.
3 updates 2 followers 1 mod2013-10-01 00:02:14So before i put all the shiny bits on i decided to whip the wheels off and and give the inner arches a good underseal.
Then last week i went to a dyno day at tuning developments held by Owen autobodies to see how much power the engine was still putting out after all these years. Its meant to have 145 bhp according to the owners manual so obviously with the bad rep these engines get i wasn't expecting much more than 130 bhp despite it being serviced every 3k miles.
Anyway it went on and managed to put out a magic 144.4 bhp which i'm more than happy with.
The dyno wasn't in the best place for filming but heres a quick video-
Also over at Heavyset we're looking at stocking some new coilovers but we thought we'd give them a bit of testing and track time first so we can get them perfect :)
They are fully adjustable so they have height adjustment,spring rate adjustment,damping adjustment and pillow ball top mounts with camber adjustable top plates which should be interesting :)
It's the first time i've seen them in person and they look extremely good quality, there's even washers in between the collars to stop them seizing up which i've never seen on another set of coilovers before.
Hopefully i should be able to get them fitted before the weekend so i can give them a bit of testing on the drive at the Northern Hondas meet in Lancaster.
3 updates 2 followers 1 mod2013-10-20 00:03:25So a few more updates.
I got rid of the tape blocking the wiper whole and replaced it with a proper rubber bung which we will be stocking soon.
Then decided to get rid of the knackered apexi filter as the fitment wasn't great.
Decided to go for the HKS super mega flow as its easy to replace the elements.
Also the air flow meter adapter was home made by the previous owner and it it was restricting the air flow so i decided to get another one.
All fitted :) no more rubbing through the wires.
Then it was on with the coilovers and the braided brake lines, the brakes were a pain to bleed and the pedal still isn't great. I think the master cylinder needs replacing so i'm going to do an upgrade on that at some point.
New vs old
Then it was on with the new sparco ns2 wheels, they still need a polish but i'm really happy with the way they look.
Just letting the suspension bed in for a week and then i'll probably go a bit lower.
The way it drives now compared to before is unbelievable, i'm really happy with it and the adjustment on the coilovers is awesome just need to get myself some better tyres, some camber arms and a decent diff now then its off for 4 wheel alignment.